We start by driving to Thingvellir where the ancient Viking parliament Alþingi, the oldest parliament in the world, was founded. We get a view of Iceland’s largest freshwater lake and see the rifts where the Eurasian and North American tectonic plates are drifting apart.
We then cross the rough mountain road of Kaldidalur (Cold Valley), travelling through a variety of wilderness terrains on our way to Langjokull, Iceland's second largest glacier. After a short cruise in the Super-Jeep on the glacier’s icy plains, we drive to one of Iceland´s largest and most impressive lava caves, Surtshellir. In the past, outlaws lived in the cave. You'll have the option of exploring the peculiar lava formations and stalactites in the cave – you'll be provided with helmets and headlights.
We continue down to Borgarfjordur to see the beautiful Hraunfossar, Lava Waterfalls, where the river seeps underground at the edge of a lava field before cascading over a small canyon down into the Hvita river. Nearby, there's another waterfall, Barnafoss, Children's Waterfall.
On our journey back to Reykjavik, we pass through the historical site of Reykholt, once home of the most famous chieftain poet Snorri Sturluson. We then visit Iceland´s most powerful geothermal spring, Deildartunguhver, and travel along the scenic Hvalfjordur (Whale Fjord), considered one of Iceland's most beautiful fjords.
- Super Jeep and expert driver guide
- Fully guided tour
- Free hotel pick up in Reykjavik 10-20 minutes before
- Caving equipment
- Season: All year but dependent upon snow conditions in Jan-Feb
- Duration: 8 - 10 hours
- Departures: Daily at 9:00 am
- Pickup: 8:40-8:50 am
- Minimum: 2 people
Children 0-11: 50%
Optional: Visit to the Ice tunnel / ice cave in Langjokull glacier, ISK 14.900 ISK per person. Children under 11 years: Free. Please contact us.
Lunch and refreshments are not included, but your driver guide will advise you on the options and stop on the way to make sure you can get some food and drink.
● Very rarely during winter this route may need to be changed because of difficult conditions at Kaldidalur, so we may need to skip Thingvellir and go through Borgarnes instead - but there will still be plenty of off-roading and remote wilderness.
● Safety on our Super-Jeep tours is always the first priority and the tour operator does not take any chances or risks. For your safety, the tour operator reserves the right to change tours according to weather and snow conditions.
● You can find more information in our article on West Iceland
Images / Video