This trip offers a fantastic opportunity to explore an Icelandic glacier, to experience ice climbing, and see some of the most beautiful sights of south Iceland, including the majestic Skogafoss waterfall.
We travel to the magnificent outlet glacier Sólheimajökull and have an unforgettable adventure exploring its rugged, crevasse carved surface, jagged ridges and ice formations. We will provide you with all the equipment you need: ice axes, crampons and safety lines. Along the way we find an ice wall on the glacier and try our hand at ice climbing. A packed lunch will be served on the glacier. On our return journey to Reykjavik, we stop at the imposing waterfall Skogafoss, a favourite of photographers and nature lovers.
- Guided glacier hike on Solheimajokull glacier
- Introduction to ice climbing
- Glacier gear
- Transport from/to Reykjavik
- Season: All year
- Duration of trip: around 10 hours with transport; glacier hike 4 hours
- Guaranteed daily departures - summer: From 15th of May to 15th of Sept for min 2 persons
- Guaranteed daily departures - winter: From 16th of September to 14th of May for min 2 persons
- Departure time: 8:30-9:00 am from Reykjavik
- Pickup time: 8:30-9:00 am from Reykjavik
- Distance from Reykjavik: 164 km / 101 miles
- No knowledge of the sport required
Ice climbing boots rental: ISK 1000 per person
Waterproof jacket rental: ISK 1000 per person
Waterproof pants rental: ISK 1000 per person
Please note: If you wish to rent ice climbing boots, a waterproof jacket, or waterproof pants, please email us with details of which size you require for each participant.
Please also indicate whether the sizes are UK or USA standard.
Minimum number of participants: 2 persons
Maximum 8 persons per glacier guide
Minimum age: 14 years
We recommend you bring
● Bottle of water & snacks for the day
● Warm outdoor clothing
● Waterproof jacket and pants
● Warm headwear, gloves and sunglasses
● Good hiking shoes are a must and can be rented if you do not have them
All glacier and sightseeing trips are undertaken on the responsibility of its participants. The tour operator does not assume any responsibility for accidents which are caused by its customers or can be traced to their own actions. Participants may have to sign a waiver before undertaking trips, stating that they realize that all outdoor activities carry an inherent risk.
● This tour is not available during Christmas and New Year's Eve (24th - 26th of December and 31st of December - 1st of January)
● The tour operator reserves the right to alter the itinerary if weather conditions change and the glacier walk is cancelled.
Images / Video