This Northern Lights tour in Iceland takes you in a Super Jeep out of town, far from the city lights to hunt for the fascinating natural phenomenon also known as Aurora Borealis. Given clear skies and a little bit of luck, sightings can occur from autumn through to spring.
- Super Jeep and expert driverguide
- Free pickup in the capital area; begins at 20:00
- Free trip if the tour goes ahead, but the Northern Lights are not sighted
- Season: 15 September - 15 April
- Duration: 3-4 hours
- Departures: Daily, around 20:00
- Pickup: 20:00
Children 0-11: ISK 9950
You can upgrade to a private tour – excellent value if you are 4 or 5 persons
The elders say that the harsher the night‘s frost, the more intense the colours of the Aurora Borealis will be. Swirling and dancing gracefully overhead, displays are usually greenish-yellow but white, red and pink lights can also appear.
● The Northern Lights Jeep tour is dependent on the weather and sky conditions and we reserve the right to cancel at any time. If the evening tour goes ahead and the Northern Lights are not seen, we will offer the trip again for free!
● Make sure you book your Northern Lights in Iceland tour for your first night in town in order to maximise your chances of sightings. Please also note that the size of your group can grow if we’ve had to cancel several nights in a row due to weather. We genuinely try our best to find Northern Lights for everyone!
● Due to the fact that sightings of the Northern Lights / Aurora Borealis are subject to both the level of the auroral activity and favourable weather conditions, it is highly advisable to allow 2-3 nights in your schedule for "hunting" the Aurora. It is important to be flexible regarding the timeframe for a Northern Lights tour, in order to maximize your chances of seeing this spectacular, but sometimes elusive natural phenomenon.
● The decision regarding whether a Northern Lights tour will go ahead or not on a particular night is usually made around 18:00 (6 pm). The reception staff in many Icelandic hotels will have this information, and you can also telephone the tour provider directly. The tour provider's phone number can be found on you tour voucher.
● If the tour goes ahead (and you are on the tour), but the Northern Lights do not appear, you will be able to join the tour the next night.
● All Northern Lights tours are subject to favourable weather conditions as well as solar wind activity; therefore, sightings cannot be guaranteed. The tour operator reserves the right to cancel the tour if the weather conditions are not favourable.
● We recommend dressing warmly.
Our article on Northern Lights includes links to the auroral activity forecasts.
Images / Video