We arrive at the picturesque island of Vigur after half an hour's boat trip from Isafjordur, and are greeted by thousands of birds. The island has a well-deserved reputation for bird watching in Iceland and should be a must on any birder's itinerary. Vigur is home to puffins, black guillemot, Arctic terns, eider ducks and other birdlife species.
The beautiful landscape conveys a sense of timelessness. Although Vigur is the second largest island in Isafjordur Bay, it only has five inhabitants – a farmer and his family. They will welcome you in their relaxed easy manner and make you feel at home in Vigur. You can take a leisurely walk around the island and see Iceland's only windmill. Prior to heading back, you can visit the smallest post office in Europe and send home a postcard.
Click here for reservation request. You can only book this tour via Contact us form.
- Boat tour
- Light refreshments on the island
- Season: 10 June - 30 August
- Duration: 3 hours
- Departures: 10 June-18 August & 27-30 August, daily at 14:00
- Departures: 19 August - 26 August, on Mondays, Thursdays & Saturdays only
- Departure from Isafjordur harbour. Please be at the harbour at least 30 minutes before.
- Minimum participants: 2
This boat tour departs from Isafjordur harbour in the Westfjords
If you are traveling on a cruise line, the operator is fully booked on dates when a vessel is in the harbour. Please turn to your cruise line for tour information.
Refreshments are served by the farmer's family, in a mid-19th century house.
● Isafjordur can be reached by car: Reykjavik to Isafjordur distance is 455 km; paved road
● There are two daily flights from Reykjavik (Domestic Airport) to Isafjordur all year round - the flight takes 40-50 minutes.
● Passengers should be ready with the vouchers at the Isafjordur harbour at least 30 minutes before departure.
● You might like to read our article on Westfjords here.
Images / Video