This tour offers an exhilarating glacier adventure with exceptional sightseeing and truly unforgettable glacier exploring. Surrounded by spectacular scenery, being a glacier-explorer allows the unique experience of discovering the shapes and colours of the frozen world.
On this tour you will go into one of the most amazing glaciers in Vatnajokull. We have been exploring glaciers for over 20 years and in that time have learned to pick the best glaciers for every trip. Before each trip, we choose carefully the perfect glacier. We do not only look at the size of the glaciers (usually from 30-100m long) but also the colours and the beauty.
The total time of the trip is usualy 2.5 to 3 hours. That all depends on how long the drive is and then how long the walk to the glacier is. The walk to the glacier is usually a few meters, but it can be up to 1km.
- An amazing traveling experience to an ice cave.
- Approximately an hour exploring.
- An english speaking local tour guide.
- 4x4 car ride.
- The nicest ice cave of the day.
- Season: From the 15th of November to the 18th of March. These dates might change, under different circumstances.
- Duration: approximately 2-4 hours.
- Departures: Daily at 10:15 and 13:45
- Minimum age: 13 years old, younger than that is not allowed.
- Minimum of 2 participants.
We recommend you bring
- Bottle of water.
- Warm outdoor clothing.
- Waterproof jacket and pants.
- Warm headwear, gloves and sunglasses.
- Good hiking shoes are a must (you are able to rent shoes from us).
Local Guide HQ in Fagurhólsmýri (N1 fuel automat at the same location)
1/2 hour east of Skaftafell and 1/2 hour west Jökulsárlón in southeast Iceland.
GPS: N63° 52.865 W16° 38.780 (WGS84, Degree-Minutes.Minutes) or 63.881083 -16.646333 (WGS84, Hd .d°)
Be prepared for ice-cold weather and dress accordingly.
Our article on South Iceland has more information about this region.