Experience the incredible feeling of walking on ice. Glacier walk (Snow32) is a great glacier adventure. The walk takes place on Sólheimajökull glacier, part of the Mýrdalsjökull ice cap, close by the south coast.
The walk from our base to the glacier takes about 15-20 minutes and takes you through varied landscape, formed by the glacier over thousands of years. On the way it’s possible to see how rapidly the glacier has melted over the last 15 years.
After safety briefing and a lesson in ice walking we start our walk. We will walk in amazing terrain, over crevasses, sink holes and ice ridges, experiencing the unique glacier environment.
Sólheimajökull is the southernmost glacier in Iceland. The thickness of the ice is approximately 200 meters. The total size of the Mýrdalsjökull ice cap is close to 600 km2. The volcano Katla, one of Iceland’s largest volcanos, is partially covered by the ice cap.
- An amazing traveling experience in Solheimajökull.
- An english speaking local tour guide.
- Ice axe
- Other safety equipment
- Season: All year
- Duration: approximately 3 hours.
- Departures: Daily at 10:00, 12:30 and 14:00
- Minimum age: 10 years old, younger than that is not allowed.
We recommend you bring
- Bottle of water.
- Warm outdoor clothing.
- Waterproof jacket and pants.
- Warm headwear, gloves and sunglasses.
- Good hiking shoes are a must.
ARCANUM, it is located 6 km east of Skógar and 26 km west of Vík. Take road #221 and drive about 4 km to ARCANUM base.
Be prepared for ice-cold weather and dress accordingly.
Be at the meeting point 30 min before departure!