A great value tour which combines an easy, but exhilarating glacier walk with amazing sightseeing, as you travel through contrasting landscapes and quaint villages of south Iceland, resonant with Viking history and Icelandic sagas.
On clear days it's possible to see the famous Eyjafjallajokull and Hekla volcanoes, and get a view of the Westman Islands, just a few kilometres off the coast. We stop at the stunning Seljalandsfoss waterfall where you have a chance to walk behind the veil of water and see the splendid landscape from a different perspective.
We head back through the farmlands and sand flats south of the Solheimajokull glacier which is an outlet glacier from Myrdalsjokull, the fourth largest glacier in Iceland. We detour to the edge of the glacier and take a short walk to experience the unique formations of the landscape of ice, mountains and water. Next, we'll be strolling along the Reynisfjara black sand beach where you can admire the famous basalt columns and caverns. Your guide might tell you about the Icelandic legends inspired by the Reynisdrangar cliffs, basalt rock stacks sculpted by the sea.
The impressive Skogafoss waterfall, a great favourite with photographers, is another sightseeing pearl. You can even climb up the sides of this 62 m high waterfall, to gain a bird's eye view of the magnificent cascade and, not infrequently, rainbows.
- Guided bus excursion to Seljalandsfoss & Skogafoss waterfalls
- Glacier walk, weather permitted
- Guided bus excursion to Reynisfjara basalt columns & black sand beach
- Bus transfer to and from Reykjavik
- Free pick-up from your hotel in Reykjavik
- Season: All year
- Duration of trip: 11-12 hours
- Guaranteed daily departures - summer: From 15th of May to 15th of Sept for min 2 persons
- Guaranteed daily departures - winter: From 16th of September to 14th of May for min 2 persons
- Departure time: 8:00-8:30 am from Reykjavik
- Pickup time: 7:45-8:15 am from Reykjavik
- Distance from Reykjavik: 165 km / 102 miles.
Due to weather and limited daylight during winter time the itinerary can vary between days. Our guides evaluate circumstances and take the best informed decision possible.
We recommend you bring
● Bottle of water & snacks for the day
● Warm outdoor clothing
● Waterproof jacket and pants
● Warm headwear, gloves and sunglasses
● Good hiking shoes are a must and can be rented if you do not have them
Images / Video